Strong Funding Partnerships
The First 5 Sonoma County Early Childhood Mental Health Task Force has developed and begun implementing a plan for an effective ECMH system of care that supports the optimal social-emotional development of children from the prenatal stage through age five. This effort focuses on promoting healthy attachment relationships between children and their caregivers through education about child development and positive parenting.
The task force adopted immediate strategies that are embodied in First 5 Sonoma County's Strategic Plan for FY2010/11-FY2014/15. Those strategies, targeting selected, high-risk populations and implementing evidence-based practices are:
- Establish a system of parent education and support for at-risk families.
- Establish a system of social-emotional and developmental screening for children from birth through five.
- Establish a system of surveillance and screening for women at risk for perinatal mood disorder.
- 25-30% of Mental Health Services Act Prevention and Early Intervention (MHSA-PEI) funds pledged to children 0 to 5
- MHSA-PEI and First 5 are collaborating on this joint funding opportunity to increase parent support and screening for maternal depression and children’s social-emotional issues
- Social workers and foster parents have been trained and are conducting periodic screenings of children in foster care
- A First 5-funded study by County Mental Health to expand local use of Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) funding for children birth to 5 and a pledge from First 5 to fund a portion of the local match when those methods are identified
- A growing First 5-funded countrywide network of providers trained in the evidence-based practice Triple P-Positive Parenting Program.
- Community-based organizations serving young children and their families including
- Early Learning Institute
- California Parenting Institute
- Jewish Family and Children's Services
- Petaluma People Services Center
- Department of Human Services, Family, Youth and Child Welfare Services Division
- Department of Health Services, Mental Health Division Children's Mental Health Partnership
- Mental Health Services Act-Prevention and Early Intervention
- Behavorial Consultation Project